Performing random acts of kindness has been shown to enhance your mood, create social connections, and increase your overall happiness. Think about all the times you were kind to someone in the last week. How many of those instances involved someone you know? How many involved a stranger? Kindness connects us to others and helps nurture a sense of community.
Spreading Kindness Begins with Simple Acts
Think of spreading kindness as a series of circles, each slightly larger than the other. The smallest circle, at the core, is you. Make sure you are taking time to do things for your mind, body, and soul. Be kind to yourself and you will be better able to share your kindness with the world.
The next circle is others. Even the simplest acts of kindness can cause a ripple effect that will have a greater impact than you can imagine. Simple gestures, thoughtful words, showing compassion and respect for others help spread happiness and warmth that comes with being kind.
The third circle centers around the environment. By choosing to reduce, reuse, and recycle, we are protecting our valuable resources for future generations. Find ways to be kind to the Earth, it is the only one we’ve got. All of these build up to the final circle, community. Each act of kindness builds upon the other and the range of those you impact increases with every kind act. Kindness is contagious, look for opportunities to be kind and you will start to see and feel a change.
Be Kind to your community
We can all make an impact in this world. Here are some of the ways Wesley Enhanced Living is making an impact on our communities through kindness and how you can help:
- Random Acts of Kindness. Seek out opportunities to Be Kind. Plant those seeds of kindness and watch them grow. Imagine how much stronger our communities will be if we were all kind to each other. Commit to one act of kindness each day.
- Sleeping Mats for the Homeless. Through our plastic bag recycling program, we have been able to collect over 4,000 plastic bags that are being turned into plastic yarn (plarn) to be used to weave sleeping mats for the homeless. We are partnering with The Sleeping Mat Project and Angels in Motion to make a difference in the Philadelphia area.
- Walk to End Alzheimer’s. Every year, Wesley Enhanced Living raises funds to support the Alzheimer’s Association. More than five million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease. Most of us know someone who has been impacted by this progressive brain disease. Find a walk near you and help end Alzheimer’s!
- Drive for a Cause. Find a cause that is near and dear to your heart. We have decided to focus on coordinating different drives at each of our locations to support our local communities. We will be collecting food items, toys, socks, mittens, and scarves for individuals in need in the Greater Philadelphia area.
- Benevolent Care Fund. The Wesley Enhanced Living (WEL) Foundation for Benevolent Care is funded through donations. The WEL Foundation is committed to providing opportunities that will support the tradition of caring and giving that has positively impacted resident life in the Wesley Enhanced Living communities for decades. Each of our communities will be having Bake Sales to help raise awareness and funds for our Benevolent Care program that supports residents in our Wesley Enhanced Living communities. Donations are graciously accepted in any amount and can be made at any time of the year.
- Volunteer. Every Wesley Enhanced Living community promotes a culture in which each and every person is valued as a giver and receiver of skills, talents, and experiences – and it is in this kind of inspired and vibrant environment that we’ve found the spirit of volunteerism truly prospers. If you would like to volunteer at any one of our six communities in the Greater Philadelphia area, we always look forward to growing our volunteer corps.
At Wesley Enhanced Living, our mission is to make a compelling difference in the lives of our residents through providing excellence and innovation in aging services. We are able to enhance the lives of our residents and employees through cultivating a Culture of Kindness. Here, every person, in every position, in every department is valued and is able to make a positive impact. Join us. Together, we can make a difference.
If you want to make a compelling difference in the lives of others, are enthusiastic about life-long learning, and are seeking employment where your strengths will be valued, then Wesley Enhanced Living is the place to be! Check out our current career opportunities to learn more!