Working in an industry that is highly focused on meeting and hopefully exceeding the needs of our residents can easily leave us so concentrated on others that we tend to forget about ourselves.
Working in the healthcare field requires stamina. It is expected that you be your best day-in and day-out. Operating at 100% every day can take a toll on you mentally, emotionally, and physically which can lead to burn out when you do not take care of yourself.
At Wesley Enhanced Living, our dynamic group not only focuses on enhancing the lives of our residents, we are also dedicated to providing an environment where employees feel valued and have resources to help them live a fulfilled life. We encourage teamwork and offer support and resources to help our employees meet their personal and professional goals.
Our BE KIND initiative encourages employees to not only spread kindness out in the world, but also make time to Be Kind to themselves.
Here are some ways to Be Kind to yourself:
- Take Time to De-stress – Stress can be useful. It kicks in our flight or fight mechanism, but extended stress will leave you tired and possibly ill. Regularly make time to unwind and de-stress. Get outdoors for a nature hike. Take up a hobby or meditation. Spend the afternoon reading or enjoy soaking in a bubble bath.
- Invest in Your Physical Health – You deserve to sit down and relax after a long day at work, but too much sitting can jeopardize your physical health. Instead, look into a physical exercise that strengths your heart and your muscles. You will find yourself re-energized and ready to tackle just about anything. Remember that eating healthy also goes hand-in-hand with good physical health.
- Boost Your Intellect – Besides exercising your body, remember to extend that to your brain. When you are continually learning, your mind continues to function well, and you can reduce cognitive decline. Take a class in a subject you know nothing about, or read books like biographies and non-fiction.
- Try Something Outside Your Comfort Zone –The comfort of our routines threatens to hold us in one position until we forget how to be adventurous. Try doing something that you haven’t done before. If the thought of skydiving or zip lining worries you, why not try a new recipe, painting, dancing, kick-boxing, or learn a new language? There are a myriad of things you can do to open up your world.
- Set Yourself Up for Success – Taking care of yourself is not a selfish act, it is necessary to help you to succeed in life and in your career. Being Kind to yourself will allow you to give more of yourself in the service of others. Set yourself up for success by establishing three things you can do each day to show yourself Kindness. These are steps or practices that keep moving you forward on your next goal or adventure.
At Wesley Enhanced Living, our employees are encouraged to be active and engaged in our mission to make a compelling difference in the lives of our residents. Our employees live their purpose every day and make a huge impact on others. We offer opportunities and resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Join us and help us make a difference! You will notice a positive difference in others and in you.